BBM Youth Support Awards
Since 1983 BBM Youth Support Awards have provided financial assistance to over 1,000 talented young Australians to further their education and experience in the U.K. and other countries.
The Award is designed to help develop specialist skills that awardees may not be exposed to in Australia, to meet international experts in their field and to learn, experience and perform on a bigger stage whilst developing extensive international networks to help them excel in their chosen field. An Award is valued at $8,000 comprising airfares and a cash component to cover accommodation, tuition and living costs.
The experience provides significant personal development opportunities for Awardees with many saying they came back more confident and determined, with a greater aspiration for their futures. The skills, knowledge, networks and experiences gained benefit the Awardee, the community and Australia.
Currently we provide awards in the following categories:
- Agriculture (3)
- Ballet (3)
- Classical Music (4)
- Drama (2)
- Highland Dancing (1)
- Horticulture (1)
- Jazz (1)
- Plain English Speaking (1)
- Scottish Piping & Drumming (1)
- Vocational trades (15 every 2 years)
To be eligible to apply for a BBM Youth Support Award, candidates need to satisfy certain age, residency, competency and personal criteria. Applicants must:
- be a Permanent Resident or Citizen of Australia.
- be able to spend at least 1 month in the UK.
- be between 16 and 24 years of age before June 30th the year following your application.
- confirm that you would not be in a position to finance the project without BBM assistance. Whilst the awards are not means tested, the intention is to provide opportunities to young people who would otherwise struggle to access them.
- be able to make satisfactory arrangements in Britain to pursue your objectives, including obtaining any visas you may require. Confirm that you have not visited the UK in the last 5 years. (Limited prior travel for personal reasons may be acceptable).
- be committed to acting as a good ambassador for Australia and BBM Youth Support.
- provide a detailed written report on your experiences within a month of your return from the UK.
- be able to attend the annual BBM Youth Supports Awards Function in Sydney to accept the award.
- be prepared to assist BBM Youth Support in the future to whatever extent you can.